plath and bonofans pilgrimage into tennis (and how we converted our friends along the way)

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Marat Safin has revealed he will retire from tennis in 2010. The mercurial Russian is a two-time Grand Slam winner, but has plummeted down the world rankings this season as a result of injury and a loss of form.

"2010 will be my last season," said Safin. "I will be 30 years old and it will be time to move on to something different."

A serious knee injury has contributed to his slide to 63rd in the world, and he also split with coach Peter Lundgren in August.

"The season has been very tough for me. If I had won half the games I should have won, I would be in a completely different position."

Safin's career highlights came with his victories in the 2000 US Open and 2005 Australian Open, and he has also topped the world rankings.

However, he has been notoriously inconsistent, and missed most of the 2003 season because of injury and a lack of mental focus.

Source: Eurosports

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home